Resolve Your Skin Condition at Pomona Valley Podiatry Group
Dr. O'Neill treats a variety of skin conditions affecting the foot. One of the most common skin problems people experience is athlete's foot. This condition typically develops as a result of sweaty feet in confined shoes. Although common and easily treatable, athlete's foot should be taken seriously as it's highly transmissible and can lead to infection if left untreated. If you are experiencing symptoms, contact our office for athlete's foot treatment in Pomona, CA, and the La Verne and Claremont, CA, areas.
What Is Athlete's Foot?
Athlete's foot is a fungal infection that develops in feet that have been confined to warm, humid conditions. Active people, such as athletes, who experience overly sweaty feet in tennis shoes are prone to this common skin condition. As it is highly contagious, you can also get it from bathrooms, floors, or direct contact with someone infected. It typically starts between the toes and develops into an itchy, burning rash and raw skin. Some people experience blisters and dry, cracked skin as well.
Athlete's foot is treatable through a variety of over-the-counter antifungal creams, powders, and sprays. For severe cases, Dr. O'Neill can recommend prescription-strength medication or antifungal pills to help alleviate your condition.
Prevention Is Key
The best way to avoid athlete's foot is through proper prevention practices.
- Always wear shoes when walking through public areas like pools, gyms, shower or locker areas, and hotel rooms
- Keep your feet dry
- Make sure to wash your feet daily with soap and dry them completely
- Wear moisture-wicking socks or socks made of natural fabrics. Always change your socks every day
- Avoid wearing the same pair of shoes every day, so they have time to dry between uses
- If you share space with someone who has athlete’s foot, always wear shoes in areas they have walked and avoid sharing towels, bed linens, or shoes
Contact Us for Athlete's Foot Treatment in Pomona, CA & the La Verne & Claremont, CA, Areas
To experience our 5-star-rated podiatric care, schedule your New Patient Consultation today by calling (909) 622-4501. You may also use our convenient online form. Your appointment includes the following:
- Discuss Your Goals
- X-Rays As Needed
- Complete Exam
- Discover Your Options
- Get started!
During your appointment, we will take the time to answer all your questions about our advanced treatments and technology, our flexible payment options, and anything else you may want to know about us!